PDA

View Full Version : Moto 5120 & router not getting along-- SOLID ORANGE light

woodypup
12-18-06, 02:13 PM
Hi all,
My first post, I look forward to tapping into your knowledge!

My problem: I have a Motorola 5120 modem with Comcast. When I connect my computer directly (by Ethernet cable) into the router, all is well.

But when I connect the modem to a router, the orange "PC ACTIVITY" light on the modem goes SOLID, and I get no internet.

I have tried 3 different routers with the same result, so I know the router is not the problem.

The only clue I can think of that would be helpful is the SOLID ORANGE light on the Motorola modem.

Help is appreciated, thanks.

YARDofSTUF
12-18-06, 02:50 PM
Could be how you set it up.

Dunno if you've tried this already or not, but when you switch over to the router, plug it into your pc, in Network connections repair your connection and then go setup the router, enable auto config and DHCP, and unplug your modem for a couple mins.

Your IP is based off of the MAC address to your ethernet card, when you add the router it uses the routers MAC, so without turning off the modem to reset it and give you a new IP based on the routers MAC it wont work.

What routers do you have now?

woodypup
12-18-06, 02:56 PM
Thanks, I will try that tonight.

Routers I have used (all 802.11b/g):
Hawking
Apple Airport Express
Linksys (just bought it last night to confirm that I still have the prob...and I still do!)

I called Moto support today, they said nothing's wrong with the Cable Modem since I can get internet via a direct wire from the laptop to the modem. They said that an SOLID ORANGE light means the modem is not receiving an IP address, so it doesn't know what it's connected to.

Any other ideas?

YARDofSTUF
12-18-06, 03:03 PM
Other ideas would be that the routers web admin is being set up wrong, but if I remember right you get a solid light from directly pluging the modem into a different nice or router.

What linksys router is it, if its a WRT54G or GS theres a better 3rd party firmware for it.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/ddwrt.php

Gotta know what version of the router you have for it to install right, but dont worry about that now, just see if you get it working first.

woodypup
12-18-06, 03:11 PM
yeah, the Linksys is the WRT54GS...but for now, I think we can safely assume that the prob will happen with any router I plug into the cable modem.

YARDofSTUF
12-18-06, 03:13 PM
Yeah.

woodypup
12-18-06, 08:30 PM
Well, tonight I tried the actions you suggested above...
No dice.
The cable modem simply refuses to recognize when a router is hooked up to it. Strange thing is, connecting a computer directly to the modem is fine.

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm getting pretty frustrated. Paying all this $$ per month for broadband (unrelated gripe) and a router and not getting to tap into the wireless that everyone else enjoys....grrr.

YARDofSTUF
12-18-06, 08:32 PM
How have you been setting the routers up?

woodypup
12-18-06, 08:54 PM
Setup is just as the manuals state:
Physically, it's: INTERNET - MOTOROLA CABLE MODEM - WIRELESS ROUTER - LAPTOP (tried both wireless and wired to router, and same problem exists).

If you're asking the setup of the router, I've hard-reset each of the routers i've been using, so they are all at the factory default settings.

Thing is, I've had normal success in the past with these same exact hardware. However, for the past few weeks I've been paying for broadband that is useless in my home.

YARDofSTUF
12-18-06, 08:59 PM
After turing the modem off and plugging the router you've repaired your conenction in network connections?

When you get that far what does the status page of the WRT or the other routers say?

woodypup
12-19-06, 07:14 AM
I did what you suggested:
Plug in the router (modem power cable is unplugged) to laptop, set up DHCP and auto-whatever, plug in modem and let it boot up.
You know, it actually worked for a bit (about 20 min). That is, I was able to access the internet through the router (still wired to laptop) and the PC ACTIVITY light on the modem flashed appropriately.

Then, after checking back on the setup about 20 min later, all was no good. The PC ACTIVITY light again was solid, and same problem as before.

What should I be looking for on the "status page"? Under "Internet Connection" it says "no connection."

btw, thanks for your help

YeOldeStonecat
12-19-06, 07:29 AM
You want to power off your modem for several minutes...literally unplug it's AC adapter. Cable modems memorize the MAC address of the last device that was successfully connected to them..if you swap devices...it will see a new MAC address...compare it to what it had....and basically say "I don't know you..so you're not getting an IP address." Completely powering off the cable modem for a few minutes..it will "forget" that prior MAC address, and memorize the next device it powers up to.

Connect it to the WAN port of your router. Power up the router.

Power up the modem..once the modem "synchs up" (all the lights settle down)....cycle the power on your router again.

Now..from a PC that's connected to your router...log into the web admin, and check the status of the WAN port of the router. You should have a public IP address. If it's all zero's, if you see a 192.168.100.xxx address...there's another issue somewhere.

Comcast usually does not register MAC addresses upstream on their servers. However...you can do a bandaid approach, and "mac clone" your laptops MAC address in the web admin setup of your Linksys router...basically that makes the Linksys "lie" to the modem...and tell the modem "I'm just the laptop you've been connected to all along..."

woodypup
12-19-06, 08:27 AM
i will also try that. thanks.
regarding the IP address of the router, when all is well, i get 192.168.1.1 (for linksys) or 192.168.1.254 (for Hawking) and 10.0.1.blah-blah (for apple). I think they are getting what they're supposed to be getting. i wil re-check what the IP address is when things are not working.

so, can anyone definitely conclude what a SOLID ORANGE light on the cable modem means ("PC ACTIVITY" light)?
I think the clue lies in the solid orange light. Of course, I will try all the "power-down this, power-up that" but it just SHOULDN'T be this way!!! :confused:

It's strange because, for the past 3 years, I've had great service, no problems. Only recently (for the past 6 months or so) has this problem happened. I've changed no hardware until this happened. Wonder what the problem is...

Sava700
12-19-06, 10:07 AM
i will also try that. thanks.
regarding the IP address of the router, when all is well, i get 192.168.1.1 (for linksys) or 192.168.1.254 (for Hawking) and 10.0.1.blah-blah (for apple). I think they are getting what they're supposed to be getting. i wil re-check what the IP address is when things are not working.

so, can anyone definitely conclude what a SOLID ORANGE light on the cable modem means ("PC ACTIVITY" light)?
I think the clue lies in the solid orange light. Of course, I will try all the "power-down this, power-up that" but it just SHOULDN'T be this way!!! :confused:

It's strange because, for the past 3 years, I've had great service, no problems. Only recently (for the past 6 months or so) has this problem happened. I've changed no hardware until this happened. Wonder what the problem is...

as I put in the other thread you brought back to life.. the orange light means nothing if it stays on.. mine is on 24/7 as its connected to the router and always seeing activity..it won't harm nothing. As for not hitting your connection.. there should be a little reset button on the router to push in with a pen or something.. do that for 10seconds.. unplug everything again and then plug it back up modem first.. then router, then computer. Next I'm sure it came with a disk or instructions to set everything up.. go through and do that.. sounds to me its in your settings when it was set up.

Also copy us a cmd prompt of the ipconfig /all I'm curious to see what its slapping around to.

woodypup
12-19-06, 10:26 AM
as I put in the other thread you brought back to life.. the orange light means nothing if it stays on.. mine is on 24/7 as its connected to the router and always seeing activity..it won't harm nothing. As for not hitting your connection.. there should be a little reset button on the router to push in with a pen or something.. do that for 10seconds.. unplug everything again and then plug it back up modem first.. then router, then computer. Next I'm sure it came with a disk or instructions to set everything up.. go through and do that.. sounds to me its in your settings when it was set up.

Also copy us a cmd prompt of the ipconfig /all I'm curious to see what its slapping around to.

I thought there was a difference between a SOLID orange light (what I'm getting) versus a flashing/rapidly flickering orange light (what should be normal, it means the modem is giving and receiving info to the router). Mine is SOLID/UNBLINKING. I think there's a prob there.

I've also hard-reset all my routers that I've tried...no luck. I've used the setup CD's to set up, and also just tried to config manually by going to the router's IP address.

All good suggestions and thanks, but I've been down all those roads already.

Could you explain how to "copy cmd prompt of the ipconfig..."?
Thanks

YeOldeStonecat
12-19-06, 11:35 AM
Don't pay attention to the PC/Activity light..it can do different things regardless of wether it's connected direct to a PC or a router...I'm at a clients with one right now behind a big router..she's blinking steady traffic, but blinking, even though there's about 40 users here and another 1/2 dozen VPN users. Usually they should blink..it's network activity. If it's 24/7 on..then WOW you have a lot of traffic or a funky connection.

Just make sure those top 4 are solid green.

As far as router "resets"....you don't have to hard reset them or run any CD setup weeeezards. If you can plug a PC into the router...obtain auto...log into the 192.168.1.1 web admin...and see it...you're good as far as that goes. Now just make sure the routers WAN port is set to "Obtain Auto"..and focus on that status section...looking for a public IP address.

woodypup
12-20-06, 12:13 AM
ok, so tonight, the router and cable modem decided to play nice and start working. all is fine and well right now. i just feel like i'm going to wake up tomorrow and bzzt! a lost connection.
but i have faith for now...

So now that everything is working well, here are my WAN settings:

Internet (WAN) Settings:
Connection Method: Direct
Broadband Modem : Connection OK
Internet Connection: Active

Local Area Network (LAN) Settings:
IP Address: 192.168.1.254
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server: Enabled

System Information:
Device Name: HWR54G
Firmware Version: Version 1.0 Release 11

(it's the Hawking HWR54G rev.M router, btw)

AND, here's the ipconfig (how do you cut/paste?)
Connection-specific DNS suffix: hsd1.mi.comcast.net.
IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254

YARDofSTUF
12-20-06, 12:56 AM
Looks good.

To cut and paste in command line right click and select mark, then highlight with your mouse and hit crtl + C, and then ctrl + V for paste

woodypup
12-20-06, 09:10 AM
we shall see when i go home at lunch today, whether or not the connection is still 'good'.......... *cross fingers*

EDIT: lunchtime check: still good!

new question: if it poops out later, what should I be looking for? (ipconfig values again?) I'd like to post them here fore your dissection.

woodypup
12-23-06, 05:47 PM
BAD NEWS-- the problem is back.

So, after 3 days of wireless bliss, suddenly today it's not working again. Same symptoms: no internet. My computers can detect and connect to the router fine, but no connection to the internet. MODEM has the solid orange PC ACTIVITY light again (and, i'm sure it's not just blinking REALLY FAST).

So, I disconnected the router, and connected the computer directly to the modem, and then unpowered then powered the modem. Didn't change anything, except I checked the NETWORK CONNECTIONS PROPERTIES box, and the IP address was 68.41.171.151...perhaps this is OK, this is the Ip address that the Modem handed out to my computer.
Urg.

woodypup
12-23-06, 05:57 PM

So, after 3 days of wireless bliss, suddenly today it's not working again. Same symptoms: no internet. My computers can detect and connect to the router fine, but no connection to the internet. MODEM has the solid orange PC ACTIVITY light again (and, i'm sure it's not just blinking REALLY FAST).

So, I disconnected the router, and connected the computer directly to the modem, and then unpowered then powered the modem. Didn't change anything, except I checked the NETWORK CONNECTIONS PROPERTIES box, and the IP address was 68.**.***.***...perhaps this is OK, this is the Ip address that the Modem handed out to my computer.
Urg.

YARDofSTUF
12-23-06, 05:58 PM

So, I disconnected the router, and connected the computer directly to the modem, and then unpowered then powered the modem. Didn't change anything, except I checked the NETWORK CONNECTIONS PROPERTIES box, and the IP address was 68.41.*.*...perhaps this is OK, this is the Ip address that the Modem handed out to my computer.
Urg.

And when you connect the router, and it works, looking in the router settings it uses a different IP? also edit out some of your IP, not good to share it all on the net for security reasons.

Do these disconnections happen the same time of day?

go to http://192.168.100.1/signal.htm whats your upstream and downstream power levels?

woodypup
01-02-07, 03:56 PM
I just got back from vacation, tried wireless. Again, no signal (the laptop picks up the wireless signal from the router just fine, just no Internet connection). I check the router admin page, and it says for Internet Connection "Connection Failed."

So, twice already today, I have had to unplug the cable modem, wait for about 1 minute, then plug in the cable modem. Life is good and everything works fine.
Then...some time later...it happens again.

What causes the router to drop the cable modem (or vice versa)?

(btw, when all is functioning well, I'm getting very good speeds from speedtest.net....d/l's are in the 4-5Mbps range)

YARDofSTUF
01-02-07, 04:44 PM
Wow, this is kinda nuts, I could see if it happened and you had only tried 1 router, but you've tried a few.

Try this:
http://192.168.100.1/signal.htm

if it works, list your down and up stream powerlevels.

woodypup
01-02-07, 09:37 PM
This is from my laptop, wirelessly...

Downstream Value
Frequency 597000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 34 dB
QAM QAM256
Network Access Control Object ON
Power Level -10 dBmV

Upstream Value
Channel ID 4
Frequency 21000000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 6913
Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s
Power Level 47 dBmV

YARDofSTUF
01-03-07, 01:39 AM
I'm wondering if the downsteam power level is too low, the other numbers look good.

Sava700
01-03-07, 02:00 AM
I'm wondering if the downsteam power level is too low, the other numbers look good.

good point... I'm curious if he has any spliters in the line till it gets to the modem and the condition of the cable connectors. If you have a splitter inline take it out or bypass it from the outside box directly to your modem and repost the levels. If no splitter make sure the coax is hooked up good to the modem then go outside and unhook it in the box and reconnect it looking to see if any corrosion or dirt is in it. Then again do another check and post the levels.