PDA

View Full Version : Dammit, my power bill quadrupled

brembo
08-25-05, 08:32 AM
...and I didn't change a damn thing. Normally ~60 bucks and I get this months bill and it's 245.97 dollars. WTF?

I called em and asked and they are gonna send out the meter reader again to check.

I have not changed my habits at all, only run the a/c when I go to sleep(on a timer). Have not gone nuts with the dryer or stove and I had the water heater shut off for a few days even. I hope this is just a misread of some nature.

MadDoctor
08-25-05, 08:36 AM
...and I had the water heater shut off for a few days even. Are you on that “I’m not taking showers anymore” kick again?

Izzo
08-25-05, 08:38 AM
...and I didn't change a damn thing. Normally ~60 bucks and I get this months bill and it's 245.97 dollars. WTF?

I called em and asked and they are gonna send out the meter reader again to check.

I have not changed my habits at all, only run the a/c when I go to sleep(on a timer). Have not gone nuts with the dryer or stove and I had the water heater shut off for a few days even. I hope this is just a misread of some nature.

you sure the neighbor didn't hook up to any outside juice ?

brembo
08-25-05, 08:40 AM
Are you on that “I’m not taking showers anymore” kick again?

No I was half-living at someone elses house(new baby, helping them out).

Izzo-They'd have to run about 400 feet to get to me, I doubt it.

Debbie
08-25-05, 08:40 AM

Do they have access to your meter? If not, they may have estimated your usage for a while and finally got an actual reading.

Zilog B
08-25-05, 08:41 AM
I assume you have a well. Check to make sure you don't have a problem there, i.e. your pump running non stop. Also check to make sure the local trailer park hasn't jacked into your line.

Debbie
08-25-05, 08:43 AM
My bill is higher also. I just got it and it was $165. That is a lot considering that I am in a small apartment. The electric company definately raised their rates this summer. So it is typical with AC use. I am used to a bill that large in the winter since I pay for my heat.

brembo
08-25-05, 08:43 AM
Do they have access to your meter? If not, they may have estimated your usage for a while and finally got an actual reading.

My meter is inside my house, and I get a call once a month so the meter-lady can get inside the house and not get chewed up by a frisky 110 pound german shepard. She read the meter on the 16th this month.

brembo
08-25-05, 08:44 AM
I assume you have a well. Check to make sure you don't have a problem there, i.e. your pump running non stop. Also check to make sure the local trailer park hasn't jacked into your line.

How much juice does a well-pump pull?

Zilog B
08-25-05, 08:46 AM
How much juice does a well-pump pull?

I know they run on 220, so it can be a lot if it runs non stop. I'm no electrician so I can't give you a number off the top of my head.

Zilog B
08-25-05, 09:04 AM
Another thing you can do is go home and look at how fast the meter is spinning. Then go inside and unplug and turn off everything. Go back out and check the meter. If it's still going pretty fast start flipping breakers one at a time, then maybe you can narrow down what is still drawing power. Just a thought.

brembo
08-25-05, 09:06 AM
I have a bad feeling about my well-pump now. I had a hose turned on for a few days that had a tiny leak...geez I hope thats not it. The bill is one thing, but the duty cycle on the pump is what worries me.

Chris
08-25-05, 09:51 AM
I get this months bill and it's 245.97 dollars. WTF?
I get one bigger then that every 2 months:(

I would love to go back 200 years, It would just be me wife, me Cowboy hat, me horse, me cow, me chickens, me wood stove, me garden, no taxes, no utility bills, no internet

Zilog B
08-25-05, 10:20 AM
I get one bigger then that every 2 months:(

I would love to go back 200 years, It would just be me wife, me Cowboy hat, me horse, me cow, me chickens, me wood stove, me garden, no taxes, no utility bills, no internet

You live in Canada. I'm sure you could pull that off now if you really wanted too.

fastchevy
08-25-05, 10:50 AM
You live in Canada. I'm sure you could pull that off now if you really wanted too.
:rotfl: :rotfl:

nightowl
08-25-05, 11:09 AM
mine avarages 80 a month...which isn't bad for 2 people in a 3 bedroom house. I found that computer monitors in general take alot of power too (Not LCD)

Humboldt
08-25-05, 11:27 AM
Time to shut down the grow room, eh?

Chris
08-25-05, 11:45 AM
Well the folding farm has taken a chit kickin :(

SpareX
08-25-05, 12:40 PM
If anyone has any of those Remote or Wireless Power meters where the meter reader just drives by your house, watch out.. I work as security at a local power company here in CT and lots of people have had problems with power readings due to a poor reading..

if someone is reading it by hand.. just double check your past readings to your current readings and see how much of a difference there is.. (there will be a Credit and Colections Department that should have that info and help take care of any issue with you)

Oh and interesting note on ACs... They use more power to cool off if been off for a while than if set to maintain a steady temp. If you have the power set it to be 5-10 degrees hotter than just off completly, alot of ACs have the ability to be set like that. if no built in timed thermostat.. just get into a habit to do it by hand..

Check out http://hes.lbl.gov/

Use every area you can fill in info for and find out what you can do to increase the money you save in all energy areas.... from Cooling, Heating, and everyday used items... Check with your local power company about special programs about replacing your old appliances for an extra rebate.

Example CL&P (CT Light and Power) is paying people for thier old Refridgerators.. 50$ and they are doing the pick-up themselves for you to boot..

I recall FL&P (FL Light and Power) had a free in-home assement program to look for any cheap and easy home improvements for power bill savings..

Debbie
08-25-05, 12:50 PM
Thanks Spare. I should have done that from the beginning regarding the AC. I have to get a new one anyway. The one I have is old. I am paying out of my nose, but, at least I am cool. :)

Zilog B
08-25-05, 12:58 PM
My electric bill was at an all time high last month, $90

ace
08-25-05, 06:50 PM

NEVAR!!!!! :D

brembo
09-02-05, 12:34 PM
Update:

It was a misread, this last months bill was "reduced" to 47 bucks. Much better IMO.

Lefty
09-02-05, 12:38 PM
Update:

It was a misread, this last months bill was "reduced" to 47 bucks. Much better IMO.
Go outside, dance a jig, shoot off the shotgun a few times and let out a full belly yeehawwwwww :D

Brent
09-02-05, 12:41 PM
My electric bill was at an all time high last month, $90

argh

mine was $160 last month, actually down a bit from the previous month, but this month will prolly be around $200

mountainman
09-02-05, 01:12 PM
Brembo: I think to celebrate, you should crack the A/C for a solid 24 hours and enjoy every second of it!

NOTE: That is a good lesson in why you should look over your bills and question something if it looks amiss and not just "assume" they upped the rates.

:thumb:

blebs
09-02-05, 01:28 PM
I'm **** about reading my meter the minute those people do. I've busted them so many times now, that it's justifiable. They purposely misread the thing so they can jack up my average.

thepieman
09-02-05, 02:54 PM
This seems to be just one big free-for-all ...rape the people and take them for whatever they got, give nothing back, send the jobs out of the country. People biotched about the $ being pegged to the Chinese currency and now thats going to raise their prices since economically, they are sounder then we are. The British pound almost has us doubled, the EURO is ahead of us, even the Oil rich countries have a higher exchange rate, pretty soon China will as well. We work to pay friggin bills...

I just got a 600.00 electric bill and thats WITH me shutting down my computers at night , and keeping 1/2 of them off during the day and only using 1 AC in the front of my store (5600btu) and usually ending up sweating my ballitos off in the back without AC. This time last year I was running folding on all 25 of my in house computers and got a 600.00 electric bill. BS!

Pie