PDA

View Full Version : Problem with sound ...

sandralynn4
11-11-04, 08:55 AM
Hi,

The sound on my computer isn't working at all , and I need some help figuring it out ...

I notice that the sound icon in the taskbar is missing for one thing . When I go to the control panel and click on "sounds " , nothing happens and nothing comes up . I went to Device Manager and initially , there was a yellow explanation mark under Sounds , video and game controllers , beside " Crystal SoundFusion (tm)PCI Audio Accelerator " . Under preferences for that , it told me the device was not present or was not working properly. I tried to update the drivers, but it told me they were already up-to-date . Then I went back later and it was fine . No yellow explanation mark anymore and it tells me the device is working properly. So I'm not sure what that was about ....

I have a little program called "Easy Cleaner " by Toniarts , and it cleans the registry . I may have royally messed up there .....it gave me a bunch of invalid entries, which I deleted . Some of them were DLL files though :( ! So now I wonder if that was a mistake . I mean , they are supposedly invalid entries, but still.....I wish I hadn't done that ! When I try to play some of my songs in Windows Media player , it tells me a DLL file is missing . I went to dll.com and downloaded the missing DLL file, but I had to unzip it . I'm not sure where to unzip it TO , and what to do from there ? And even if I deleted some DLL files , wouldn't my sound icon in the taskbar still be there ? And wouldn't I still be able to open the Sound in the control panel ? I need help ! I'm wondering if I need to reformat my computer now ..... :(

I was told it might be the sound card , but I don't have a sound card on this computer . I believe it is built right in ....

Well , if anyone can help , I'd appreciate it . Thanks !

Oh , and I'd also like to know if there are any programs out there than scan your computer for missing DLL files AND fix them for free . I know there are some that you have to pay for , at least to fix things , but are there any completely free ones ?

The Dude
11-11-04, 09:29 AM
You could try running the system file checker. (http://www.petri.co.il/what's_system_file_checker.htm) It will scan your system for missing or damaged system files and replace them with good ones from the CD.
sfc /scannow
The /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. This command also repopulates the DLLCache folder with the most recent versions of protected files. This requires access to the Windows installation source files and also the installed Service Pack files. You are usually prompted for the location of these files during the scan operation.

sandralynn4
11-11-04, 09:55 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your message . I have Windows 98SE .....would it still work on my system ? I have the system file checker on my computer under Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Information . Quite a few files came up, but when I try to restore them from my disk, it always says " The file was not found .Verify that you have selected the correct 'restore from' location and try again " . I have my restore CD in the D drive and I'm asking it to restore the files from that location . Maybe I'm doing something wrong , I'm not sure ?

Also , the guy who owned my computer before me said I may have to go into the BIOS and re-set the sound . How the heck do I do that??

Oops..... I'm editing this again.... I was just reading a similar post, and they were advised to go to Multimedia under the Control Panel . I thought I'd try it, but just like the Sound , Mulimedia won't open either . Grrrr ! Why is that ?

The Dude
11-11-04, 10:13 AM
Yes it will work on win 98. Windows 98 system file checker. (http://www.windows-help.net/windows98/start-142.shtml)
The problem may be because it's a restore CD and not a regular Micro$oft CD. It may be that the folder structure is different so it can't find what it's looking for. You could try using the browse option and then try to find the correct folder. I don't think you need to go into the bios. Nothing in there should have changed unless you went in and changed it. You could try un-installing your sound card software/drivers and then install again. Another option is to go to update drivers and force it to use the ones from the cd even though it says it's got the latest already.

sandralynn4
11-11-04, 11:10 AM
Hi,

To uninstall my soundcard drivers, would I go to Device Manager ,select it , and click Remove? How do I re-install it again - by going to Add New Hardware? I don't even know if I have a soundcard. The guy who owned this computer before says I don't , and that it's built right in. The last time I touched anything inside the hardrive, my whole computer froze up, so I don't want to touch anything .

I didn't have much luck with the System File Checker ( although a lot less files came up this time for some reason ...). I have no idea what folder to restore the files to.

Thanks again...

Grimson
11-11-04, 12:22 PM
reinstall it by installing the drivers for your soundcard/on-board sound.

sandralynn4
11-11-04, 12:32 PM
I'm not sure how to do that ... :(

The Dude
11-11-04, 12:36 PM
Where I said "sound card" substitute "onboard sound". ;) :)
There are a couple of places to look. I have a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live. In control panel under add remove programs I have "Soundblaster Live Web 2kxp", this is the drivers for my card. This is the one I would un-install first if my sound didn't work. You will need the drivers or software for your card to reinstall. If you go into add remove hardware you should find a listing for your onbourd sound. If you delete or un-install it it will be detected on the next reboot look for drivers. It may just use the ones already on your PC, which may not help you fix it if the drivers are the problem. try the add remove programs first.

sandralynn4
11-11-04, 07:32 PM
Hi again :) Thanks for your help .....

I don't see anything in Add/Remove that relates to my onboard sound....hmmm. I have a Creative 3D Blaster Annihilator 2MX CD ...whatever the heck that is !

I also went to Add New Hardware , but I don't see anywhere where I can remove anything....just add it. If I go into the Device Manager and remove the Crystal Sound PCI thing , and then re-start my computer , will I be able to install it again ? I'd like to try it, but I don't want to permanently delete it !

I still don't know why I have no sound icon in my taskbar and why I can't open my Sound or Multimedia icons in Control Panel. Maybe I'll just have to restore everything, but I hope not!

The Dude
11-11-04, 07:47 PM
I'm running 2k pro, if i go to add remove hardware and run the wizard I get two options on the next page. "Add/troubleshoot a device" and "un-install/unplug a device". Whats listed in device manager under "Sound, Video and game controllers" ? You need to figure out what you have and download the latest set of drivers for it.

sandralynn4
11-11-04, 08:09 PM
I don't seem to have "Add/Remove Hardware " ...mine just says "Add Hardware" . I have Windows 98 though .

" Crystal SoundFusion (tm)PCI Audio Accelerator " is listed under Sound Controllers in Device manager . So if I remove it, I can't re-install it on start up ? I don't think I have any drivers on disk.

This is getting frustrating ....I don't really have the patience for all this....lol

The Dude
11-12-04, 01:22 PM
I don't know why but I'm not getting any e-mail notifications for this thread. :confused:
You should be able to download the drivers for your sound from the motherboard makers site. Have you made sure it's not just muted. There should be a check box for that some where. If you delete it one of two things could happen. It will be detected next boot and look for drivers. It will either use the drivers already on the PC if it can find them, or prompt you for the location of them. If it prompts you for them then you need to point it to the folder you downloaded them too, or the cd with them on it.

sandralynn4
11-15-04, 11:36 AM
Hi,

Would I still need drivers for onboard sound?? If so, how do I update them ? From the manufacterers website ?

Also, do you ( or anyone ) know where the sound would be listed under the BIOS ?

Thanks !

The Dude
11-15-04, 01:03 PM
Yes you still need to install the drivers. Onboard sound works the same as a sound card does. The difference is the chip-set is mounted on the motherboard. You still need the drivers for the sound chip-set for it to work. Since it's integrated into the motherboard you should be able to get the drivers from the motherboard makers site. Windows has a lot of drivers for generic and common hardware included. It's still better to download the latest version of drivers though. My daughters PC has onboard sound and video, XP loads all the drivers and everything works after the first reboot.

The Dude
11-15-04, 01:09 PM
For my Award bios the sound settings are in the "integrated peripherals" section. If you are not sure how to set them look at the bottom of the screen for a "fail safe defaults" option. It should give you the option to set them for that page only. If you are worried about changing them write down what they are before changing them. ;)

sandralynn4
11-15-04, 08:39 PM
Hmmm..... I went to the manufacturer's website , but I didn't see anywhere that I could download drivers. I e-mailed them to ask though .When I go to Windows Update , it tells me there are no new updates for drivers. I went in to the BIOS and checked the sound , but it IS enabled. Rats ... I was hoping it wasn't and that was the problem ....lol. So I'm still not sure what's wrong . I have a feeling I deleted some DLL files though .... :(

I really appreciate your help , Dude . Thanks very much ! :)

Sandra

The Dude
11-15-04, 08:58 PM
Is your PC an IBM? Crystal Soundfusion audio accerlerator drivers. (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4ENRRF)

sandralynn4
11-16-04, 07:05 PM
Hi .... it's an Emachine....

I think I'm going to have to restore my computer if I ever want sound again :(

The Dude
11-17-04, 04:57 AM
Ok go to the eMachins (http://www.e4me.com/) site and select "Customer Care" then "Product Support". Now select the options in the drop downs for your model. You should end up at a page like this. (http://www.emachines.com/support/support_info.html?prodName=D2244) Under downloads you should see this. (http://www.emachines.com/support/support_info.html?prodName=D2244)

sandralynn4
11-17-04, 11:12 AM
Hi Dude ,

Thanks so much for your help again :) I did what you suggested, but it only gave me the specifications for my computer . No downloads . Darn ! I see on the link you gave me that it gives the downloads as well as the specifications , so I'm not sure why it doesn't with my computer. I e-mailed them the other day and they wrote back with a couple of suggestions. They said to remove whatever I find under Sound in the Device Manager, so I removed " Crystal SoundFusion (tm)PCI Audio Accelerator " . When I re-started , it detected that it needed to be reinstalled and it did that . But when I looked at it again, there was a yellow explanation mark beside it ( there had been one there when I first began having this problem , but it disappeared ). I removed it again. They had told me that if that didn't work, to insert the Restore CD and type in "d:\drivers\audio\setup.exe" . So I tried that , and it installed an "unknown " device under Sound in Device Manager , also with a yellow explanation mark. It also said it couldn't locate the drivers for that device. So then I deleted it . Now when I go to Control Panel and look for Sound and also Multimedia , they are both gone ! I think I messed it up even more ....lol . I wrote back to eMachines so hopefully I can get some more help ....

Thanks again for your's ....!!

The Dude
11-17-04, 11:37 AM
Have you rebooted since you deleted "everything" under sound and multimedia? Maybe the onboard sound is broken? Hopefully eMachins can help you sort it out. :(

sandralynn4
11-17-04, 12:32 PM
Hi ...Yes, I have rebooted. I hope they can help ....since I'm pretty sure I deleted some files that I shouldn't have, I may have to reformat to get them back :( Well, it could be worse .... at least it's just sound ... lol.

Thanks again !

AndrewLee
06-17-06, 04:52 AM
Crazy, I'm having tha same problem, I didn' realize it until I read this thread I did tha same thang, I deleted some so called "redundant" DLL files wit a program I have. Wierd I got an eMachine, Win98, Crystal SoundFusion comp too lol
And I'm still tryin ta figure out how ta fix it, I still gotta try some thangs from this thread tho.