PDA

View Full Version : Where is Saipan, MP (96950)?

Humboldt
08-08-04, 02:32 PM
Any ideas? I know it's north of Australia but what does the MP stand for?

Thanks

Brent
08-08-04, 02:50 PM
Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands

It's the ISO country code

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/ISO%20country%20code

http://www.submarine.co.mp/map_lg.jpg

Brent
08-08-04, 02:56 PM
btw, i easily found all of this on google

Humboldt
08-08-04, 03:03 PM
btw, i easily found all of this on google

Thanks Brent.
At work right now and the only thing I came up with in 15 seconds I had to spend ono it was the current weather there, not what MP actually stood for:D

Kip Patterson
08-08-04, 03:35 PM
MP = Marianas Protectorate

The history of this area is a good read.

The Enola Gay and Bock's car took off from Tinian on their way to bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Controlled by Japan during the war, we lost a lot of US servicemen and women retaking Saipan and Guam. Many native islanders were lost as well, in the tens of thousands, many to suicide encouraged by the Japanese defenders.

Now independant, they really are a part of US history. Guam is US soil today.

Humboldt
08-08-04, 04:09 PM
MP = Marianas Protectorate

The history of this area is a good read.

The Enola Gay and Bock's car took off from Tinian on their way to bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Controlled by Japan during the war, we lost a lot of US servicemen and women retaking Saipan and Guam. Many native islanders were lost as well, in the tens of thousands, many to suicide encouraged by the Japanese defenders.

Now independant, they really are a part of US history. Guam is US soil today.

Thanks for the info. Kip:) That is interesting stuff indeed.

jayyy
08-08-04, 11:01 PM
Saipan is supposed to be really beautiful. They use US dollars, and its a lot cleaner and more developed than a lot of the tropical islands in that area. I know some people that prefer it to thailand and bali for vacations.

Brent
08-08-04, 11:15 PM
Saipan is supposed to be really beautiful. They use US dollars, and its a lot cleaner and more developed than a lot of the tropical islands in that area. I know some people that prefer it to thailand and bali for vacations.

sounds cool, i'd like to visit it one day