PDA

View Full Version : My cable internet connection shuts off every other week



Brandon_k_W
10-26-03, 06:27 PM
I have a Motorola Surfboard (not sure what number), win XP home.

Every other week, my internet just suddenly shuts off for no reason. I check the "internet connection" settings, and sometimes it doesn't display a Default Gateway. Other times it gives the word "invalid" where it should be displaying the IPs -- for subnet, gateway, etc.

So i have to keep unplugging the power to the cable modem, then replug it back in, to get my internet working again. if that doesn't work, i have to unplug the rj-45 cable and replug it back in.

wee96
10-26-03, 06:34 PM
Need more info, does the modem actually lose its connection to the ubr (cable company)? Does the modem stay connected, but the RJ-45 connection light go out? Let us know.



Originally posted by Brandon_k_W
I have a Motorola Surfboard (not sure what number), win XP home.

Every other week, my internet just suddenly shuts off for no reason. I check the "internet connection" settings, and sometimes it doesn't display a Default Gateway. Other times it gives the word "invalid" where it should be displaying the IPs -- for subnet, gateway, etc.

So i have to keep unplugging the power to the cable modem, then replug it back in, to get my internet working again. if that doesn't work, i have to unplug the rj-45 cable and replug it back in.

Brandon_k_W
10-26-03, 06:48 PM
the rj-45 LED is always on. its not a problem with the ethernet card, because that LED is always on


the LED on the cable modem usually flashes on "SEND", and doesn't get past that. that's when i have to unplug and replug it in

qball15j
10-26-03, 07:21 PM
I'm no cable tech but it sure sounds like a signal issue. Do you have any splitters on the coax that's going to your cable modem?

I had a problem just like yours a year ago when getting Dish Network Satellite. They unhooked all the lines from Comcast's splitter on the side of the house and used there's that goes to the Dish but they forgot one thing! The freakin termination caps! Water got in the Comcast splitter which started causing bad signal lose.

Brandon_k_W
10-26-03, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by qball15j
I'm no cable tech but it sure sounds like a signal issue. Do you have any splitters on the coax that's going to your cable modem?

I had a problem just like yours a year ago when getting Dish Network Satellite. They unhooked all the lines from Comcast's splitter on the side of the house and used there's that goes to the Dish but they forgot one thing! The freakin termination caps! Water got in the Comcast splitter which started causing bad signal lose.

i was thinking it was that, i got a new splitter, but it is still happening. it could be the rj-45 cable or that thick white cable line that might be causing the problem

qball15j
10-26-03, 08:13 PM
If it's one of those cheapy WallMart splitters toss it! Along with any other cheapy store baught cables. Call your cable company and have them do a line test, if your signal is low have them come out and run new lines. They should do that at no charge.

wee96 will fill you in on anything I missed. :D

wee96
10-26-03, 08:45 PM
You'd be suprised how many NIC's are bad yet show an LED connection. I'm not saying thats what the problem is, but just so you know. It's most likely an intermittant signal issue, which you'd be best off getting an appointment to have someone come out. A new splitter can't fix a bad drop, or bad fitting at the tap, etc. Thats my advice so far ;)



Originally posted by Brandon_k_W
the rj-45 LED is always on. its not a problem with the ethernet card, because that LED is always on


the LED on the cable modem usually flashes on "SEND", and doesn't get past that. that's when i have to unplug and replug it in

Dark_Regent
10-26-03, 11:10 PM
try hooking up to a usb port see what happens not nere as fast but it might work also the splitter and line thing also have your cable company come out i had the same problem with mine only it was just a bad splitter thank god.

BaLa
10-27-03, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Brandon_k_W
the rj-45 LED is always on. its not a problem with the ethernet card, because that LED is always on


the LED on the cable modem usually flashes on "SEND", and doesn't get past that. that's when i have to unplug and replug it in

sounds like a prob. on their end (Cable Co.) or signal strength

lmcnlcy
01-24-06, 01:44 PM
Hi,
This happens to me also. I noticed a few things:
a) Lights on the modem appear to be normal.
b) Skype works (I can see state of my contacts and the calls go through)
c) I can access my router using 192.168.1.254 as normal.

I have a Scientific Atlanta modem from Videotron. Should I be able to log into the modem and check something? Do you know how I do that?
thanks,
lmcnlcy

Sheallaidh
01-29-06, 12:02 AM
Disable Norton Internet Worm Protection!!!

Malchazar
09-27-07, 11:58 PM
I have an SB4100 Motorola cable modem. The problem is highly erratic-- sometimes the connection will cut out several times in 5 minutes, sometimes it will go for a few days without any problems (at least when I'm online). It's definitely a problem with the connection, not our router, because it happens when I'm plugged in directly to the modem. When it happens, all the lights on the modem turn off except the top one (receive), then they all slowly come back on and the connection works again.
Time Warner tells me the signal strength is perfect, and they gave us a new cable modem, so I have no idea what the problem is. We have a splitter for the TV in the room, but they seemed to think that couldn't be a problem. Maybe there is something wrong with the connection from our house to whatever terminal is in the area?

trogers
09-28-07, 01:38 AM
I have an SB4100 Motorola cable modem. The problem is highly erratic-- sometimes the connection will cut out several times in 5 minutes, sometimes it will go for a few days without any problems (at least when I'm online). It's definitely a problem with the connection, not our router, because it happens when I'm plugged in directly to the modem. When it happens, all the lights on the modem turn off except the top one (receive), then they all slowly come back on and the connection works again.
Time Warner tells me the signal strength is perfect, and they gave us a new cable modem, so I have no idea what the problem is. We have a splitter for the TV in the room, but they seemed to think that couldn't be a problem. Maybe there is something wrong with the connection from our house to whatever terminal is in the area?

Check and see if your WAN IP address changes after turning off the modem for 10-15 mins. It should if your ISP's DHCP server is functioning. If not, it could be that you have a sticky WAN IP address that is being issued to some other user. No 2 comps can share one IP address and thus one of the comp will be kick out of the connection.