PDA

View Full Version : How much does it cost to open a bank account?

CyclonesWorld
08-12-03, 05:01 AM
The title pretty much sums up my question :)

in2deep
08-12-03, 05:04 AM
I have bank accounts in 4 countries, never once paid to open one.

CiscoKid
08-12-03, 05:33 AM
Most banks I know of in California ask for a 100 enitial deposit

BaLa
08-12-03, 05:52 AM
why would a bank charge you money to open a bank acct?

If you have a bank acct with them, you will prolly be doing business with them..

although some (most prolly) banks will require an initial deposit of some sum of money..dependind on the acct. also.

Bastid
08-12-03, 07:36 AM
anywhere from nothing to 100 depends on the bank and what your getting

Brk
08-12-03, 08:37 AM
Look for a bank that offers a "free checking" plan. That way, you don't pay monthly charges for writing too many checks or for having an ATM card. It also is wise to make sure to get an account that doesn't require you to have a minimum balance.

One of my accounts is through Bank One, and it's the "basic" account...totally free of charge, and very convenient and easy online banking as well. You need $25 to deposit initially, though. That shows them you're not some shady individual lookin' for a place for your slush fund. :D

chimdogger
08-12-03, 08:52 AM
In my experience you can get it all free if you have direct deposit from your employeer.

Brk
08-12-03, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by chimdogger
In my experience you can get it all free if you have direct deposit from your employeer.

Direct deposit is practical for paychecks only, though...hardly a bellwether of a good/free bank account.

Jim
08-12-03, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Burke
Look for a bank that offers a "free checking" plan. That way, you don't pay monthly charges for writing too many checks or for having an ATM card. It also is wise to make sure to get an account that doesn't require you to have a minimum balance.
I'm on my third "free checking" account at a third bank. Each one stated no minimum balances, and no monthly fees or service charges. The last two started charging me, and despite all my efforts to explain the situation, I was given a "that's how it is now" reply (whatever happened to grandfathering this stuff?). My newest account, a checking account that I don't use as one (it's used as a savings account despite being a checking account) just started charging me for getting returned checks. Now I have to explain to them that not only am I supposed to have free checking, I'm not getting any checks back because I'm not even writing them! *grumble*

Brk
08-12-03, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Jim
I'm on my third "free checking" account at a third bank. Each one stated no minimum balances, and no monthly fees or service charges. The last two started charging me, and despite all my efforts to explain the situation, I was given a "that's how it is now" reply (whatever happened to grandfathering this stuff?). My newest account, a checking account that I don't use as one (it's used as a savings account despite being a checking account) just started charging me for getting returned checks. Now I have to explain to them that not only am I supposed to have free checking, I'm not getting any checks back because I'm not even writing them! *grumble*

Hmm. I've had one account for 12 years and it's never changed...and my Bank One hasn't changed in the year I've had it so far. :confused:

So your bank sends the physical checks to you in the statement, or does it use "check imaging" and that's why they're charging you?

Jim
08-12-03, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Burke
So your bank sends the physical checks to you in the statement, or does it use "check imaging" and that's why they're charging you?
Well in this case, there's no checks to even send back, so I don't know which method they use.

BaLa
08-12-03, 01:27 PM
I currently bank with a Credit Union = free

MadDoctor
08-12-03, 01:42 PM
My wife got a check from someone who uses US bank. The wife went to the US bank down the street to cash the check. US bank said that if my wife doesnít have an account with them (and we donít) there would be a $1.50 charge to cash the US bank check.

US bank can kiss my fuzzy butt.

Mark
08-12-03, 04:26 PM
if you keep enough money in the bank they give you all kinds of free junk and interest on the checking account too.

Joint Chiefs of Staff
08-12-03, 04:59 PM
5 bucks is all my US account at Wachovia (formally First Union) cost me. I should say the savings account, the checking was free. One clause I have to keep $300 dollars in the savings or pay a monthly fee of $5.

In Canada I use two banks. The bank of Nova Scotia and The Royal Bank. For what I remember everything is free with no monthly charges.