PDA

View Full Version : pet stain and odor remove help?????

mikemean
04-15-01, 02:09 PM
ok, I used that Oxy Clean stuff to try and remove pet stains and odors from my carpet. The container said it worked for that kind of thing. Now I have a big brown spot on my rug and it smells kind of like ammonia (sort of) It smells worse than it did before even after using a carpet cleaning machine on it. What can I do to get rid of the smell? I am not so much worried about the stain as it is not really that noticable, but I want to get rid of the smell.

Jesse23
04-15-01, 02:12 PM
Febreeze

Humboldt
04-15-01, 02:13 PM
Wait for it to dry, then sprinkle baking soda on it. Make sure it's not all clumpy. Let it sit for an hour or so, then vaccuum.

May need to repeat.

I've had up to 9 dogs in my apartment at once. This should help :)

mikemean
04-15-01, 02:33 PM
ok FEBREEZE SUCKS! A lady that used to live in this building used that stuff and it does not work for pet odors. I am thinking about the baking soda thing though. I tried 2 big huge cans of cinnamon carpet fresh and the did not work either. What about using straight vinegar?

Dakota
04-15-01, 02:44 PM
Is this dog or cat? If it's in the middle of the floor, it must be a dog. I'd go to a pet store and see what they have. The stuff you get at the supermarket is just going to mask the odor.

If it's bad enough, then you might be out of luck and have to replace the carpet. You might also try some of the pet store remedies and also replace the pad directly below the stain.

EvilAngel
04-15-01, 02:57 PM
Good advice BlueJetta.

pmsngun
04-15-01, 03:00 PM
Woolite Pet Stain & ordor remover works pretty good. :D

mikemean
04-15-01, 03:05 PM
Ok, the carpet padding and the boards are wet due to me using a bucket with oxyclean solution and pouring it one the carpet. So now I have to try and get the odor out of the padding and boards. What about using a bleach and water solution and wetting the area under the carpet?

David
04-15-01, 04:34 PM
Mike,

Why not rent a steam cleaner....
Chemical treatments will only go so far.. If the odor is in the padding below, you are probably out of luck.

shant,
david

mikemean
04-15-01, 04:53 PM
I did get a carpet cleaner. I don't think it was a steam cleaner though. That Oxyclean stuff said to saturate the area, but it did not tell me to blot up the excess moisture, hence the "ammonia" smell. I went down to a pet store and told the lady what the deal was and how the carpet and padding are wet and what I used and she sold me an enzymatic cleaner. She said the enzymes would help get rid of the odor. We'll see.

David
04-15-01, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by mikemean406:
I did get a carpet cleaner. I don't think it was a steam cleaner though. That Oxyclean stuff said to saturate the area, but it did not tell me to blot up the excess moisture, hence the "ammonia" smell. I went down to a pet store and told the lady what the deal was and how the carpet and padding are wet and what I used and she sold me an enzymatic cleaner. She said the enzymes would help get rid of the odor. We'll see.

Th enzyme cleaners tend to work only on small spots that do not run deep...

Chris
04-15-01, 05:23 PM
Mike, if you have the carpet up already, mop the boards with bleach water( Careful of the fumes...windows open and all that ) heavy on the bleach. Prop up the carpet and underpad and let dry real good. If you dont get the carpet and underpad dry the odour prob will never go away. I also have put vinegar in a spray bottle and miste the carpet and underpad on both side seeing as you have them up to dry. after it is all dry and laid back down, mist the carpet with vineger once a week till you no longer can smell the odours. Try not to wet carpet when misting, just a light misting should do. If while you have the carpet up you notice that the finish on the boards underneith has been destroyed by the urine, then aftert bleaching and drying you may need to paint or varnish to reseal the boards. Aint animals fun?
Good luck the task is at hand and there is no easy solution. Take the easy route and you think you have it beat, then the hot humid weather gets here and the problem comes back ten fold.

colour
04-15-01, 07:49 PM
buy a steamvac!

thats what i resorted to after because of my puppy.

smaier69
04-15-01, 07:57 PM
just out of curiosity, do you have any extra carpeting laying around (that matches the affected carpeting)? i cleaned carpets for a living a long time ago, and as long as its not in a traffic lane (in a seldom trodden area of the carpet) you can "patch" or "plug" the carpet. we had a special 4" circular cutter for cutting out the bad spot, and cutting out a piece of relpacement carpet for the "plug". padding is easy to come by in small pieces. if its a bigger spot, you can use a boxcutter/utility knife to cut out a larger piece and "patch it. then you replace the padding/carpeting and hot-glue the plug/patch into place (gluing it to the older carpeting to the new patch on the cut).

to be honest, though..... its kinda tricky to do if its your first time, but it can be done without replacing the whole carpet if push came to shove.

mikemean
04-15-01, 09:39 PM
Well it is about a 2 1/2 square foor area. It is soaked all the way down to the wood. I went to the pet store and got some enzyme odor cleaner and they said it would take a wekk more more for the odor to start disappearing. The problem is because I soaked the area with that oxyclean stuff, but the directions neglegted to inform me that I had to sop up the excess water. Now it smells like ammonia in my apartment real bad. I followed the instructions for the enzyme cleaner and have the affected area pulled up enough to have a small fam blowing air under the carpet to help it dry. Damn friggin oxyclean! :mad: :mad:

Humboldt
04-15-01, 09:42 PM
At this point, maybe just move a large item of furniture directly over the stain, eh?

mikemean
04-15-01, 09:57 PM
Well, that won't work because it's not in an area where I can do that. It's not the stain I am worried about. It is the horrible ammonia odor that I am now trying to get rid of. It really smells like I poured ammonia on the carpet. The little fan I am using seems to be working to dry the area a little. Oh well. I am going to give that enzym cleaner a few days to work, and if that doesn't do it, I am going to take up as much of the carpet in that area as I can as well as that padding and I am going to pour bleach all over under the carpet.

TonyT
04-15-01, 10:36 PM
I used to have a carpet cleaning business.

There is NO way to totally remove the oders and stains from pet urine. The only way to effectively treat the carpet is to fold it back and dry out the padding and possibly the subfloor under it.(cement or wood)

The subfloor can be treated with clorox bleach mixed 4 water to 1 bleach. Then dried using a hair dryer. Repeat if necessary.

The carpet padding can be replaced. The carpet backing can be scrubbed with a mild detergent to release the uric acid oils and residue.

Same goes for the carpet surface. Do not try bleach on the carpet because it will change color!

There are no effective commercial oder removal products, yet alone over the counter products for this dillema. All of these products contain disinfectants and perfumes. The result is dead bacteria and one oder "masking" another oder. But in short time the perfume is disolved by the air and the oily urine/poop residues will begin to return, esp during humid weather.

Shampoo type carpet cleaning will only spread the stains and widen the area of oder source.

Steam cleaning will effectivly handle the carpet surface but not the carpet backing or padding or subfloor.

The solution is stated above. Other solution is deep six the pet...cuz they tend to want to return to the space they have marked....

mikemean
04-15-01, 10:49 PM
Thanks Tony. I will trust your word since you were a professional carpet cleaner. I was not going to pour bleach on the carpet, only underneath the padding on the wood and then some on the padding itself. I really ****ed up when I used that oxyclean stuff.

TonyT
04-15-01, 11:09 PM
Right now you first action should be to dry the carpet and pad. Use towels to blot up as much as possible. Then put a folded towel on the spot and place a heavy object on top of it iovernite to help soak up the moisture. Use something that is heavy, about 50 lbs at least. Put it in a plastic bag to protect it from the chemicals in the stuff you used. (that stuff is corrosive)

Next day have a fan blowing directly over the area all day long. Don't use an unattended hair dryer! (risk of fire)

If you can flip the carpet back blow air under it too.

To remove the stuff you put on the rug, use moist towels with only water and blot over & over "rinsing" the carpet.

When all is dry, wood can be:
1. scraped clean of all solid residue
2. cleaned & bleached

Wear rubber gloves cuz the pet stain will be absorbed in skin as well as other chemicals. Then you will have the same problem on skin as is on tyhe carpet & you don't want to sand your hands! (great way to diet btw)

Cornbread
04-15-01, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by mikemean406:
Thanks Tony. I will trust your word since you were a professional carpet cleaner. I was not going to pour bleach on the carpet, only underneath the padding on the wood and then some on the padding itself. I really ****ed up when I used that oxyclean stuff.

SUE oxyclean, dont they state on their commercials it works on pet urine? SUE THEIR ASS!

CoolJ
04-15-01, 11:23 PM
Man Oxy Clean looks so awesome on the infomercial.

Cornbread
04-15-01, 11:26 PM
SUE THEIR @SS!!! LAWSUIT! :D

mikemean
04-16-01, 12:13 AM
Oxyclean did say that it worked on pet stains and odors. The can I have did not give any specific pet stain and odor removel instructions. After using the stuff I used the carpet cleaning machine which would have rinsed the area in question. Funny thing is I went to the website to try and use their form to send an email telling them what happened and I got a page cannot be displayed error. Now my ****ing house wreaks of an ammonia odor. TONY, I have the carpet up as much as possible for tonight and have a small fan going on it to dry. In the morning I will pull that whole section of carpet up as well as the padding and let it dry.

ghost
04-16-01, 06:58 AM
We make fun of that A-hole on the OxyClean commercial here in the studio. When you dog him, you have to give those two f***ing thumbs up, too.

ghost

ABADOKI
04-16-01, 03:47 PM
Mike, you need to get 2 products, one for the stain and one for the odor. I have a lot of experience with carpet cleaning. My family also manufactures the products you need. Get Pet-Out for the stain, and Kitty-Scram for the odor. Their website also, has directions for using the products and where you can get them. web page (http://www.kleenco.com) good luck with your problem.

jeff

mikemean
04-16-01, 03:54 PM
thanks, but the problem is almost fixed. I am just waiting for the carpet and padding to dry. I sprayed out the padding in the tub with the shower head and laundry soap. It's outside haning on the fence now. The boards I used almost pure bleach (something like 2-3 cups per 3 gallons of water). I sprayed the back of the carpet with almost the same strenght of bleach. Odor seems to be almost gone. Just waiting for everything to dry so I can nail down the padding and the carpet.

ABADOKI
04-16-01, 04:03 PM
Mike, i just checked they have a distributor in great falls. just look it up on their website.

jeff

christine01h
09-11-14, 02:20 AM
I think its more practical to get a professional cleaner so wont be able to have any problems again.

Humboldt
09-11-14, 02:29 AM
I think its more practical to get a professional cleaner so wont be able to have any problems again.

13 years later, I'm guessing you missed the boat.

Good advice but your timing needs work.

jeremyboycool
09-11-14, 04:27 PM
Bumped threads depress me, they remind me of the people who are no longer posting here.