PDA

View Full Version : Why do we black-out when having too much to drink?

EvilAjax
04-04-03, 11:11 AM
I know many of you have blacked out when drinking too much liquor or whatever. Why does it happen? What causes your body to still function, well-hardly... and makes your mind just go blank. Then you wake up the next day, not knowing how the hell you got there.. with the only hangover, throwing up the whole day. It's the only con's about drinking... well, there are some others, but this one pisses me off.

Have any of you ever snapped out of a black out? I know it sounds impossible, but I have. I remember drinking so much damn Hennessy that night... I swear, I never drank so much. We first went to this club, bought two big bottles of Henny, and had it amongst ourselves (like 12 of us @ first, or more). Then everyone separated, and we went to another club. We started buying shots and shots and shots of Henny... omg... last thing I remembered was dancing with some chick. Next thing you know, I get hit with a bottle over my temple (side of head).. and my adrenaline was already pumping me to fight... I started WILDING OUT. I even hit someone with a metal seat on their head... with ALL MY MIGHT. I didn't even feel bad... I even hit him again while he was on the ground. No one hits me with a ****ing bottle.

Anyway, what had occured was crazy. I had blacked out, and when I got hit by the bottle, I woke up. And I swear to god, the bottle didn't even hurt. I was barely bleeding. We left the club a bloodbath... all those bastards were gushing blood... their entire faces were covered in it. The fight had started while I was blacked out, which explains the whole adrenaline thing..... anyway, has anything similar happened to any of you guys?

Death is probably a black out too... only thing is you just dont snap back into it... or maybe you do--in Heaven or Hell :p

Dan
04-04-03, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by EvilAjax
I know many of you have blacked out when drinking too much liquor or whatever. Why does it happen?

I think it's so you won't remember what she looks like. LOL

Immortal
04-04-03, 11:13 AM
New york sounds scary!

EvilAngel
04-04-03, 11:52 AM
The fact is that you pass out due to the body’s inability to tolerate the amount of alcohol that you have put into it. Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant that works to slow down the heart rate, lower your blood pressure, and slow your breathing rate. Once your brain has been depressed enough by the alcohol, you pass out. The amount of alcohol it takes to make you pass out is dangerously close to the amount of alcohol it takes to make you dead! So be careful bro!

TonyT
04-04-03, 12:20 PM
All mind and/or mood altering drugs, including alcohol, act in the same manner basically.

All drugs are each and all:
1. a stimulant
2. a depressant
3. a poison

Any drug, in a small quantity, act as a stimulant. Increase the amount and it acts like a depressant. Increase it more and it becomes a poison.

Note: there is a very fine line between stimulant, depressant and poison with some drugs, as well there are varying quantities.

For example, a cup or two of coffee (caffiene) acts as a stimulant, 20 cups in succession will make your drowsy, 100 cups could kill you.

A minute quantity of heroin will feel like a 'pick me up', while a slightly larger amount will cause you to pass out and a slightly larger amount will stop your respiritory system and cause death.

Speed, such as methamphetemine, in small doses will feel like speed, in large doses will knock you out, and in larger doses will poison you, however, you would probably die of a heart attack prior to the speed reaching the poison level.

Drinking until one 'blacks out': the level of alcohol has reached the level of being a poison.

Poison:

n 1: any substance that causes injury or illness or death of a living organism 2: anything that harms or destroys; "the poison of fascism" v 1: spoil as if by poison; "poison someone's mind"; "poison the atmosphere in the office" 2: kill with poison; "She poisoned her husband"

n. 1. A substance that causes injury, illness, or death, especially by chemical means.
2. Something destructive or fatal.

Now, as EA can attest, the damage done by drugs reaching the poison level, including alcohol, will damage more than just a few thousand brain cells. One thing tha gets damages is the liver. One of the primary purposes of the liver is to filter poisons and toxins from the bloodstream. The more thye liver is damaged, the less 'resistant' one becomes to toxins and poisons. And the liver does NOT repeair or regenerate itself.

Drinking until blacking out damages the liver PERMANTLY. Alcohol 'seems' safer than other drugs because the body metabolizes it faster than other drugs, usually within a 24 hr time frame, but poison levels of alcohol take longer to metabolize. In other words, high levels of drugs are busy damaging the body.

Humboldt
04-04-03, 12:52 PM
First time I ever blacked out (and its happened a few times over the years, but not that many) we were at a hotel having a New Years party.

A buddy of mine got me to piss off the balcony onto a car below. Thought it was a great idea at the time I guess.

EvilAjax
04-04-03, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by EvilAngel
The fact is that you pass out due to the body’s inability to tolerate the amount of alcohol that you have put into it. Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant that works to slow down the heart rate, lower your blood pressure, and slow your breathing rate. Once your brain has been depressed enough by the alcohol, you pass out. The amount of alcohol it takes to make you pass out is dangerously close to the amount of alcohol it takes to make you dead! So be careful bro! Nah I never passed out... I blacked out. Meaning my body was still running around doing whatever it pleased without me mentalling being able to control it or even realize it. That's crazy though.... alcohol=bad

Hennessy = good :D

LOL

I don't even drink like that. It's a rare occasion... only when I go out. But them other substances such as Heroin, crack, coke, speed, acid, whatever... I don't do... I only smoke w33d :D

But after reading TonyT's post, I'm not going to over do the drinking anymore... blacking out = terrible

De Plano
04-04-03, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by TonyT
For example, a cup or two of coffee (caffiene) acts as a laxative, 20 cups in succession will make you spend the day on the toilet, 100 cups could make your butt explode.

In other words, high levels of drugs are busy damaging the body.

Hmm, interesting.
Can you tell I am drinking coffee?
:D

EvilAjax
04-04-03, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by De Plano
Hmm, interesting.
Can you tell I am drinking coffee?
:D Your butt explode?? ...... wow :eek:

TonyT
04-04-03, 03:47 PM
For example, a cup or two of coffee (caffiene) acts as a laxative, 20 cups in succession will make you spend the day on the toilet, 100 cups could make your butt explode.

lol